Home > CrPC 125, PWDVA 2005 > Bombay HC- CrPC 125(3) procedure to be followed for recovery of due amount/ arrears in PWDVA 2005 instead of issuing Non Bailable order Directly.

Bombay HC- CrPC 125(3) procedure to be followed for recovery of due amount/ arrears in PWDVA 2005 instead of issuing Non Bailable order Directly.

“the   procedure   laid   down   under Section 125(3) of the Code of Criminal Procedure for getting compliance of  the orders passed by the Magistrate under Section 125(1) of the Code will have to be followed for executing the orders passed by the Magistrate under Section 20 (Monetary Reliefs) of the Protection of Women from Domestic Violence Act, 2005.   The reliefs available under Section 125(1)(a) of the Code of Criminal Procedure are analogous to the reliefs available under
Section 20 of the Protection of Women from Domestic Violence Act, 2005. ”




Bombay High Court



Mr. Sachin s/o Suresh Bodhale,
Aged 36 years,
Occupation – Business,
R/o Plot No.2, Apana Ghar Scheme,
Visava Naka, Godoli, Satara (MH). …. PETITIONER


Sau. Sushma w/o Sachin Bodhale,
Aged 35 years,
Occupation – Nil,
R/o C/o Sau. Savita Sanjay Patil,
Plot No.119, Shri Mahalaxmi Apartment,
Nelco Housing Society, Subhash Nagar,
Shri Sudhir Moharir, Advocate for the petitioner,
Shri R.R. Vyas, Advocate for the respondent.
DATED   : 6th
MAY, 2014.
1. Heard learned Counsel Shri Sudhir Moharir for the petitioner  and learned Counsel Shri R.R. Vyas for the respondent.

2. Rule.   Rule made returnable forthwith by the consent of the learned Counsel appearing for the parties.

3. The petitioner has moved this Court by invoking powers of this  Court under Article 227 of the Constitution of India and Section 482 of the Code of Criminal Procedure.  The petitioner is aggrieved by the order passed by   the   learned   Magistrate   in   Misc.   Criminal   Application   No.890/2012
(Sushma vs. Sachin).  The order, which is questioned before this Court, reads as under :­
“Perused the application and stay.
Heard learned Advocate for both sides.
Applicant relied on 2013 All M.R.(Cri.) 2572.   Learned
Advocate for N.A. has opposed that Magistrate has no powers.
N.A. has not paid any amount towards interim maintenance.
Learned Advocate has also confessed that N.A. has not paid any
amount towards interim maintenance order which is passed on
Exhibit 13.
Provision under Section 28(2) is very clear when N.A. has
not paid amount and not complied the order, she cannot be kept
high and dray.  Magistrate is empowered under Section 28(2) to
issue N.B.W.  Citation filed by applicant is very much applicable
in the case in hand.  Hence application is allowed.  Issue N.B.W.
against non­applicant.”

4. The petitioner is husband of the respondent.  The respondent has filed an application under Section 12 of the Protection of Women from Domestic Violence Act, 2005 before the learned Magistrate.  An interim order has been passed granting monetary relief.  It appears that the petitioner has not   paid   the   amount   to   the   respondent   as   per   the   interim   order.     A
non­bailable warrant has been issued for non­payment of amount of interim  maintenance to the respondent by the petitioner.  It appears from the order of the learned Magistrate that the learned Magistrate was of the view that he could formulate his own procedure under Section 28(2) of the Protection of Women from Domestic Violence Act, 2005.   It appears that the Magistrate was also of the view that he can lay down his own procedure for recovery of the amount of interim maintenance.   Sub­section (2) of Section 28 of the  Protection of Women from Domestic Violence Act, 2005 reads as under :­
“28(2). Nothing in sub­section (1) shall prevent the court from   laying   down   its   own   procedure   for   disposal   of   an
application under section 12 or under sub­section (2) of section 23.
Sub­section(1) of Section 28 of the said Act reads as under :­“28(1). Save   as   otherwise   provided   in   this   Act,   all  proceedings under sections 12, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 and 23 and offences under section 31 shall be governed by the provisions
of the Code of Criminal Procedure, 1973 (2 of 1974)”

5. Therefore,   it   is   abundantly   clear   that   basically   the   learned  Magistrate has to follow the procedure laid down in the Code of CriminalProcedure for recovery of maintenance either final or interim.  Sub­section (2) of Section 28 of the Protection of Women from Domestic Violence Act,  2005 can be pressed  into service when there is no provision available for implementing a particular order passed under the Protection of Women from Domestic   Violence   Act,   2005.     If   the   procedure   is   available   in   Code   of  Criminal Procedure,  that is necessarily to be followed.

6. In   my   considered   opinion,   the   procedure   laid   down   under  Section 125(3) of the  Code of Criminal Procedure  for getting compliance of the orders passed by the Magistrate under Section 125(1) of the Code will have to be followed for executing the orders passed by the Magistrate under Section 20 (Monetary Reliefs) of the Protection of Women from Domestic
Violence Act, 2005.   The reliefs available under Section 125(1)(a) of the  Code of Criminal Procedure are analogous to  the reliefs available under Section 20 of the Protection of Women from Domestic Violence Act, 2005.
The procedure for getting compliance of the order passed under Section 125(1) of the Code of Criminal Procedure is available under Section 125(3) of the Code of Criminal Procedure, which runs as under :­
“125(3). If  any person so  ordered  fails without  sufficient cause to comply with the order, any such Magistrate may, for
every breach of the order, issue a warrant for levying the amount due in the manner provided for levying fines, and may sentence  such   person,   for   the   whole   or   any   part   of   each   month’s  (allowance for the maintenance or the interim  maintenance and expenses of proceeding, as the case may be,) remaining unpaid after the execution of the warrant, to imprisonment for a term which  may  extend  to  one  month  or  until   payment  if  sooner made:
Provided that no warrant shall be issued for the recovery of any amount due under this section unless application be made
to the Court to levy such amount within a period of one year from the date on which it became due: Provided further that if such person offers to maintain his wife on condition of her living with him, and she refuses to live with him, such Magistrate may consider any grounds of refusal stated   by   her,   and   may   make   an   order   under   this   Section  notwithstanding  such offer, if he is satisfied that there is just ground for so doing.”

7. The procedure for levying of fines is available under Section 421 of the Code of Criminal Procedure as under :­
“421.  Warrant for levy of fine – When an offender has been
sentenced to pay a fine, the Court passing the sentence may take
action   for   the   recovery   of   the   fine   in   either   or   both   of   the
following ways, that is to say, it may ­
(a)   issue   a   warrant   for   the   levy   of   the   amount   by
attachment and sale of any movable property belonging to the
(b)   issue   a   warrant   to   the   Collector   of   the   district,
authorising him to realise the amount as arrears of land revenue
from   the   movable   or   immovable   property,   or   both   of   the

8. Thus   there   is   absolutely   clear   provision   under   the   Code   of  Criminal Procedure, which lays  down as to  how the  amount of maintenance, final or interim, is to be recovered. The Magistrate, in my opinion, could not have issued  non­bailable warrant directly.   He should have followed  the procedure laid down in sub section (3) of Section 125 &  Section  421 of the Code of Criminal Procedure.  In the scheme of Code of Criminal Procedure, in the first place, the Magistrate was under obligation to issue a warrant for levy of the amount by attachment and sale of any movable property.   The  other remedy available was to issue a warrant to the Collector of the district, authorising him to realise the amount as arrears of land revenue from the movable or immovable property, or both of the defaulter.   The Magistrate could   have   sentenced   the   petitioner   for   the   whole   or   any   part   of   each month’s   allowance   for   the   maintenance   or   the   interim   maintenance   and expenses of proceeding, as the case may be, remaining unpaid after the  execution of the warrant, to imprisonment for a term which might extend to one month or until payment if sooner made.

9. As such the first option available to the Magistrate was to issue a   warrant   for   levying   fine.     If   whole   of   the   amount   was   recovered   by adopting   the   procedure   under   Section   421   of   the   Code   of   Criminal  Procedure, the question of putting the defaulter in prison did not arise.  In case amount was not recovered or part of it was recovered and part of it was not recovered, then the question would have arisen as to how much sentence should be imposed on the defaulter as per the provision laid down in the Code of Criminal Procedure.  The stage of issuing warrant comes only after sentencing and not before that.

10. In view of above discussion, it is abundantly clear that the order dated 02­4 2014 passed by the learned Magistrate  in Misc. Criminal Application No.890/2012 cannot be sustained.  It needs to be quashed and is
accordingly quashed.  The respondent is at liberty to take necessary steps in accordance with law.

11. Rule is made absolute in the above terms.

  1. No comments yet.
  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Fight for Justice

A crusaders blog for inspiring thought.

Stand up for your rights

Gender biased laws

MyNation Foundation - News

News Articles from MyNation, india - News you can use

498afighthard's Blog

Raising Awareness About Gender Biased Laws and its misuse In India

The WordPress.com Blog

The latest news on WordPress.com and the WordPress community.

%d bloggers like this: